As we age, we look for things we can do to prevent wrinkles, diseases, and cognitive function. The good news is that there are hundreds of things that can be done to help you age in the best way possible. We are going to look at six life hacks you can apply to your life today to help you age better.
- Invest in Large Sunglasses: The skin around your eyes is the most delicate and thin skin you own. Itís also the place that wrinkles tend to appear first. By wearing oversized sunglasses, you are preventing sun damage from occurring around your eyes and you are also reducing how much you are squinting. This means you will have fewer eye wrinkles as well as fewer forehead wrinkles.
- Make Time For Your Friends: Oftentimes we find our schedules to be so hectic that we neglect to make time for a social life. However, having a social life can help you age better in many ways. The biggest thing making time for friends will accomplish is lowering your stress level. Studies have shown that being stressed damages your skin cells, which leads to premature lines. Stress can also lower your immune system leading you to a more likely chance of becoming ill. As a bonus, making time for your friends also means that you are more active both physically and mentally.
- Stay Active: It’s no secret that as you age your metabolism slows down. Getting at least thirty minutes of activity, a day increases your metabolism and helps to increase bone density putting you at a lower risk of bone injuries as you age.
- Take Fish Oil Regularly: Fish oil is high in omega-3 fatty acids. A study done by Ohio State University shows omega-3 fatty acids and fish oil can help everything from your joints, eyesight, and hair growth to making your skin look supple and improving your heart and immune functions. If fish oil isn’t for you, increase your intake of seeds, nuts, sardines, or salmon.
- Keep Your Diet Colorful: We know there are some foods that speed up the aging process. What many people aren’t aware of is that there are also some foods out there that can do the opposite. Foods like kale, broccoli, blueberries, strawberries, oranges, and plums are all rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that promote healthy aging. Some of these nutrients include alpha-lipoic acid, carotenoids (including vitamin A, ﬂ-carotene, lycopene, astaxanthin, and retinol), CoQ10, glutathione, polyphenols, and vitamins C, D, and E.
- Change Your Opinion Of Old: There is no formal definition of what old means. The word can have many different meanings depending on the context. Don’t degrade yourself by talking about your “senior moments” or the things you can no longer do. Having a positive attitude and a good mental outlook is half the battle. When you tell yourself that you are old and can’t do things, it becomes the truth. Instead, focus on all the things you can do and remember, age is just a number.
Heath is cumulative. In today’s busy society, we tend to forget to take care of ourselves because we are so busy taking care of everyone else. Make yourself a priority and begin implementing even just one of the above suggestions for now.
Implementing the six suggestions above and sticking to them, will make them part of your normal routine. Take care of yourself now so you can ensure that you will age in a positive way.