Performing a plethora of roles to maintain good health and development, vitamins are essential nutrients that we can’t live without. Yet there are so many that perform wonders, without us even actually being aware of it, until we don’t get sufficient amounts and problem occur.
Vitamins are characterized by the following:
- They are found naturally in food, with varying amounts
- They can’t be made by the body (save for vitamin D after sun exposure)
- They are organic in their structure and can be broken down by air, heat or acid, making it more difficult for your body to absorb them since cooking and storage affects their chemical structure – even exposure to air.
- They are crucial for normal and healthy development and functions
- When they become absent from the diet, it can cause certain deficiencies