Osteoporosis, also known as ‘Brittle Bone Disease’, has been referred to as ‘The Silent Epidemic’.
Hundreds of thousands of spontaneous fractures and crush fractures occur every year due to the “bone thinning” that results from the condition known as osteoporosis. Although the whole skeleton is affected, areas commonly affected by fractures are the hip, spine, and wrist.
As a result of this condition, height loss and stooping can occur. This can subsequently lead to the vertebra in the spine collapsing.
Predisposing Factors Include:
- A deficiency in vitamin D, very common in modern western society.
- Eating fat-free diets.
- Drinking 2 or more cups of coffee every day can greatly diminish bone mineral density in women.
- For men, alcohol is the major culprit.
Following are some health tips that can be undertaken by almost anyone to help maintain a healthy bone structure.
- Comfrey root is well-known for promoting the growth of bone cells.
- Calendula or Marigold encourages granulation.
- Calcium metabolism is assisted by Horsetail.
- Cayenne Pepper offers a positive effect on the circulation in order to transport nutrients throughout the body.
- Fenugreek tea is helpful.
- Bee propolis has a reputation for helping bone tissue regenerate.